.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Reflection on Leadership Skills for the Forces

comment on Leadership Skills for the Forces line 1 From LC Context lessons 6-9, describe matchless signifi bedt incursion that you nurse gained and explain why.The innovation of Organisational Culture taught in Lesson 7 left the deepest impression on me, as I desire to ponder and apply this concept in the context of the Singapore arm Forces (SAF), specifically the Army. The tombstone question that arose was whether there is a uniform market-gardening in the Army. If so, what is important about the presence of much(prenominal) a conclusion?As I sought to clarify these questions, a related concept of bequeathership came into mind. Undeniably, the drawing cardship of an presidential term would form and develop, or even counterchange the foundation of its set and cultural norms. These values, assumptions and norms can then shape an organisations husbandry. According to Colins and Porras, leaders sine qua non to adopt a incorruptible precept that some things should nev er change (Collins Porras, 2011). Some things much(prenominal) as the SAF core values and beliefs ought to remain unchanged as alterations could potentially lead to destabilisation.Using my experience while serving as an Officer in Command (OC) and the observations of my Divisional Commander, BG Lam Shui Tong I would explain how leaders is competent to shape the organisations value systems, and in the carry out organize the pursual to its flush statement, endeavor and values.As an OC, I was in germinate of a support company of 150 men from diametric walks of lives, and my transaction was to train them to blend in operationally show upy soldiers. To align everyone with SAFs bursting charge statement, I consciously inculcated the message of Always (being) Ready and Expect the unexpected into my men. I also made it a point to ensure that I am a positive role model who walks the talk and to urge on their internalising of this core value. Over time, it was observed that my men were more self-motivated and strived to become more competent.At the higher level, I observed the same dynamics at overwork. My Divisional Commander, BG Lam, deald strongly in a culture of seaworthiness. He held the belief that physical fitness activities can bond people and build their character. To inculcate this culture of fitness within the organisation, events such as Olympics Challenge, knowledge runs, Frisbee and cycling were organised. As a leader who walks the talk, he would personally conduct physical training for the division on Mondays and for all NS units during their In Camp Training. On Wednesdays and Fridays, he would play Frisbee and cycle with his men. Over time, everyone began to revalue the greater sense of camaraderie, as well as improved fitness levels.These two examples demonstrated that a leaders actions can incline and tinge organisational culture. When the individuals within the organisation be influenced with the organisations culture, they become more committed and aligned with the organisations shared values and vision.Task 2 State the appointment that you are likely to be posted to after CSC. Analyse and describe key aspects of the leadership context of the appointment that you ordain face, using the circle from SAF Leadership Framework and concepts you learnt from lesson 6-9. after(prenominal) CSC, I will have the opportunity to command a NS groundwork relative majority (IB). As a NS CO, I am responsible for NSmen who will come under my charge. These NSmen are soldiers who have completed the 2 age of national service and my core responsibility is to ensure that they continue to be competent, and are operationally ready.The foundation and strength of our Army lies in our people, so my first emphasis would be to record the com congeal, values and history of the unit. During the NSmens active days, the CO would have made a positive impact to the soldiers and some form of organisational culture would have been fo rmed. As their NS CO, there is a need for me to sincerely understand and analyse the units culture before proposing any change. Even in the implementation of new rules or norms, the process has to be gradual to forego for ease of adjustment. In addition, the SAF 24/7 Leadership Framework will serve as a reference point for me to influence my soldiers towards achieving the units mission and purpose, the craved outcomes and new operating environment (Yin, 2011).Fundamentally, it must be understood the want of NSmen will be different from their active days (Chee, 2012). However, I believe our core SAF values will be the binding factor in a unit of diverse personalities. In managing such diversity, I visualize having to apply direct leadership. Specifically, during their ICT, the adoption of direct leadership methodology such as Meet The People sessions is important in providing an open communicating channel, which will allow the NSmen to raise their concerns and for me to respond ap propriately. In order to assuage such communication legally, it is paramount to bring on board my key appointment holders such as the Principal Staff Officers and OCs.In situations, such as mobilisation exercises, there will be a need to exercise organisational level leadership. Besides having to empower my commanders, there has to be a focus on addressing complex policies such as NS training requirements. by the application of different leadership levels, and communicating the units mission, purpose and values to every s borrowholder, it will provide the platform to achieving SAFs mission.Task 3 Identify and explain the key leadership requirements for this appointment.First, with the SAF 24/7 Leadership Framework ( inscribe 1), I understood the theoretical basis of having to stimulate the right values, so as to guide my actions. My values should, and need to be aligned with the organisations values in order for me to buzz off SAFs vision effectively through my speech and actio ns. With this self-awareness, I understand that my actions can either positively or negatively influence my followers behaviours.Second, I have learnt from LLC lecture 5 that appropriate leadership means is dependent on situations. This is because the adoption of different leadership styles will allow for more effective addressing of the issues faced by my subordinates. As a Battalion Commander, I need to change my leadership styles tally to the competency, motivational and lading levels of the staff under my charge. A/P Chan also highlighted that a leader should possess a full repertoire of styles 6 to suit different situations. As I build upon this new understanding of a spectrum of leadership styles, it is essential for me to exercise flexibility and adjust my leadership style accordingly.Third, prior to attending CSC, I was introduced to the Leadership, Management and Command Model (LMC) when I read the SAF Pointer Monograph Called to Lead. Then, I saw LMC as three withdraw skill sets that a leader ought to possess, and that a leader can non be effective in all 3 domains.After attending the LLC lectures (1 to 5), I gained a more thorough understanding of the 3 domains that are intertwined. I gained the insight that I cannot afford to exercise my role as Leader, Manager, and Commander (in the position of a Battalion Commander) independently of each other(a). Instead, I have to work on exercising all three domains simultaneously. This relationship is illustrated in Figure 2.The LMC model provides a clear conceptual tool to analyse and develop my command and leadership strategy accordingly. In the scenario where my subordinates are already doing a good job in administration and resource management, I can then devote more time and effort in need and inspiring my team.Task 4 My leadership strengths and weaknesses. How do I symbolize to deal with my weakness.As an SAF personnel who has been deployed into various appointments and also through the feedbac k show available in this course, I understand that my strengths lie in the cleverness to employ values-based leadership, and interpersonal effectiveness.In leading my staff, I consciously crusade to treat every man fairly and respectfully. Also, I ensure that my actions are guided by sound moral principles, and be willing to take responsibility for my actions. For my commitment to employ values-based leadership, I am well-regarded by my superiors and subordinatesPossessing interpersonal effectiveness is another strength of mine that would assistance to establish and go for good relationships in the workplace. In order for the SAF to excel in its mission of national defence effectively, it is essential that a strong rapport is establish between colleagues with different job functionalities. The strong bonds and cordial relations would help the big SAF family to support to one another through challenging times.To elicit my effectiveness as a leader, it would be beneficial that I strengthen my skills in the area of communicating to influence, and in exercising style flexibility.When there is a need to share my ideas, the natural instinct would be to convey my thoughts in a direct manner, and assume that they will be real wholly by others because my ideas are anchored on logical thinking and research. When this does not happen, I would presume that others are less informed than I am. Upon deeper reflection, I internalised the learning point that it is necessary for me to explain the rationale of my ideas, so as to encourage acceptance by others. Essentially, part of effective leadership is the process of influencing others to achieve a common outcome1. Through the opportunities provided in this course, I would make a conscious attempt to explain the rationale of my ideas to my course-mates.The other area that I could work on is to exercise style flexibility, according to the situation and circumstances. When there is a need to tackle problems, I have th e tendency to approach the issue in a rigid manner. As a result, I appear to be stubborn or foolhardy. The lesson on FRLM increased my knowledge of the different leadership styles that a leader could undertake. I would consciously explore utilising transformational leadership instead of relying heavily on transactional leadership. I have requested for my CSC buddy and my course-mates to provide feedback on my progress.REFERENCESSAF Leadership festering Doctrine Directive 2/2004, SAF Leadership Framework dated 26 Jul 2004SAF Leadership Development Doctrine Directive 3/2004, SAF Leadership qualification Model dated 26 Jul 2004Chan, K.Y. Soh, S. Ramaya, R. (2011). Military Leadership in the twenty-first Century Science and Practice.11 Chan Kim-Yin, Star Soh, Regena Ramaya (2011), Military Leadership in the 21st Century Science and Practice. Cenage Learning, p4.

No comments:

Post a Comment